F&B - Sous Chef
|Location:||Mount Rainier National Park, WA|
|Salary Range:||$17.50 per hour|
|Employment Type:||Seasonal - Full Time|
|Unit:||Food & Beverage Operations|
Do you want to work at the tallest volcano in the lower 48? The 5th highest peak in the continental United States? The 5th national park in the United States? A place recognized around the world for the incredible fields of wildflowers below numerous glaciers? Do you have what it takes to manage the kitchen of the Dining Room at the historic Paradise Inn?
Join the Rainier Guest Services team at Mount Rainier National Park. If you have the skills and passion for national park work we would love to talk to YOU!
Provide working direction to kitchen line and utility staff to help maintain a consistently high standard of safety, cleanliness and food excellence. Provide up to 1,200 covers per day over three daily meals. Ensure that all foods for Dining Room, Employee Dining Room, and Café are nutritious, safe, wholesome, eye appealing, delicious, and meet recipe and food cost specifications. Manage the culinary operation in the absence of the Executive Chef or Executive Sous Chef.
This is a seasonal position from early May to mid October.
Monitor, problem solve, and direct workers to ensure efficient and safe completion of all culinary tasks daily
Assist in training and supervision of staff on safety and procedures including recipes and plate presentation
Ensure that entire department adheres to food safety guidelines including ServSafe and HACCP
Attend and participate in safety meetings
Sample, smell, and observe food to ensure conformance to recipes and taste and appearance standards
Manage staff appropriately to enforce standards and minimize personnel conflicts
Assist in maintenance of department records such as schedules, food safety inspection logs, and receiving invoices
- Performs such other related duties as directed or required
SKILL AND KNOWLEDGE REQUIREMENTS INCLUDE
- High School Diploma/G.E.D. equivalent required; Culinary school diploma strongly preferred
- Two years culinary experience in full-service restaurant required; national park experience strongly preferred
- Possess or be able to successfully complete ServSafe certification
- Possess strong knowledge of culinary terms and practices; able to prepare items “from scratch” and follow recipes
Physical and Mental Requirements
- Move about to accomplish tasks, particularly frequent movements from place to place within the unit.Bend, lift, carry, reach/extend arms and hands above shoulder height frequently; move in a constantly changing environment
- Lift, carry, and push up to 10 lbs. regularly, 15-20 lbs. frequently, and up to 30 lbs. occasionally
- Able to stand for extended periods
- Climb steps regularly
- Speech recognition and clarity, including the ability to understand the speech of co-workers and the ability to speak clearly to be understood by same in English
- Physical presence at the job site is essential to perform job duties
- Typical professional kitchen equipment (knife, range, oven, mixer, etc.)
- Required Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) used: gloves, goggles, apron, cut glove, steel mesh safety glove, mitts
This job is no longer active. Please click here to see current job listings.